SUMMER SESSION FAQS
Summer Session provides both online and fillable PDFs due to the move for remote instruction and student support. Students can download the forms needed, complete them and email them out for approval via their UC Merced email. Students are responsible for sending forms out via email and for submitting them to Students First Center for processing when required. No wet signatures are required--effective immediately we are accepting approval via your @ucmerced.edu email address. We will also accept email approval from your faculty member. No need for you or your faculty member to sign the form.
- Unit fees remain $419 per unit for undergraduate and $535 for graduate courses. Fees may be changed at the direction of the Regents of the University of California.
- All summer students are responsible for paying Campus-Based Fees regardless of the mode of instruction.
- The Financial Aid application remains open. You must be enrolled in at least six (6) units to apply for financial aid at UC Merced.
- Summer Session includes face-to-face and online courses. Please check the schedule of classes to confirm course modality and meetings.
- Basic Technology Needs for Students
- A laptop or computer
- A webcam (if not already built into your computer or laptop)
- Reliable access to the internet
WHO IS SUMMER SESSION FOR?
- Continuing UC Merced students looking to get ahead or stay on track
- Incoming UC Merced first-year or transfer students who want a jump start on their academic career and transition into university life
- Non-UC Students
- Non-Continuing UC Merced Students or Other UC Students
- High School Students
- UC Employees
HOW MANY UNITS CAN I TAKE?
Students are advised to take a maximum of 12 units during Summer Session. Units above the maximum are allowed only with the permission of a student's academic advisor. Most courses are 4 units. You must complete a minimum of six (6) semester units for Summer Session financial aid.
HOW MUCH DOES SUMMER SESSION COST?
Course fees are $419 per unit for undergraduate courses and $535 per unit for graduate level. Click here
for a full list of Summer Session costs and fees.
WHAT COURSES ARE OFFERED DURING THE SUMMER?
There are a variety of courses offered in the summer to support students at all levels. Incoming first-year students have an opportunity to take high-demand courses like Math 005, MATH 11 or MATH 21, CHEM 001 or 002, or WRI 001 or 010. Many additional disciplines offer first-year courses. Incoming transfer students have many options as well, as there are a wide variety of JR and SR level courses offered across all three schools.
HOW DO I ENROLL IN SUMMER SESSION COURSES AS A NEWLY ADMITTED STUDENT?
As a newly admitted student, you will need to submit a brief online application
available. When your application has been processed, you will receive instructions on how to enroll in your Summer courses. Please note the following application deadlines.
Visiting Student's Application Deadlines:
The deadline to apply is two weeks (14 days) prior to the start of the session.
WHERE CAN I PARK?
Parking is available on campus. For more information on securing a summer parking permit, please visit their website
for more information.
CatTracks, the UC Merced bus system, is also available during the summer for transportation to and from campus.
DO I HAVE TO LIVE ON CAMPUS?
No, you do not have to live on campus. However, housing is offered at a greatly reduced rate with options for six, eight, and 12-week housing and meal plan contracts. More information is available here
IS FINANCIAL AID AVAILABLE?
Financial aid is available to current UC Merced students. Visiting UC students should apply for financial aid at their home campus. UC Merced students should submit their application early as financial aid awards are granted on a first-come-first-served basis to those who qualify. To be eligible for Summer Financial Aid, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units and have a prior year FAFSA on file. The online Summer Financial Aid application is available here